Moving over to the googleverse

in blog, mulvany.net, google, google app engine


Well, today I finally made a switch that I had been thinking about for a long time, I moved the hosting of my personal domain to google app engine with email being managed by google apps for my domain. http://www.mulvany.net is now a google app engine site. At the moment there is not much content there, but the google app engine tool allows me to run a perfect cop of my site off line, and to edit locally and then push live. That's really nice, and I liked this interaction model while I was creating my wedsite (wedding website). Prior to this my site was running on Zope. To be honest, editing it was a pain in the ass.



My google app engine setup is using the standard out of the box Django setup. To be honest, getting uri's connected to funtions or to content is not as transparently easy as with sinatra on ruby, but it's pretty nifty, so I'm a happy bunny.



I was worried about email, but the MX records took about 30 mins to switch over, so no sweat, it was pretty smooth.



There is one downside, i'm hosted on networksoloutions, and it's looking like those bastards don't allow proper 301 redirects, so I may not be able to get http://mulvany.net to point to http://www.mulvany.net. I've gotten a domain renewal until 2013, so I might just have to suck it up. There is a discussion over at http://blogging.nitecruzr.net/2007/11/vagaries-of-publishing-your-blog-to.html pointing out some of the problems about this.



I also set up a, well, I'm hesitant to call it work related, let's call it a blog about the stuff that I'm interested in that's not totally random, but that does have a relationship to my interests in science. It's over at Directed Graph, it's a bit new, and it probably won't be updated any more frequently than this blog, but I'm going to try to keep the content over there a bit more focussed on topics around science, graph theory and publishing.